Monday, March 19, 2007

The Mash Tun

Thanks for returning!

I have used a few types of mash tuns, from a simple 2 bucket setup, a round Gott type mash tun and now I am currently using a Hobby Beverage MiniBrew Mash Lauter Tun.

I had my doubts about the device as I tried to find out others who had used it. I did get some negative feedback with some saying that they had gotten a sort of "plastic" taste to their wort and finished beer. I was very suspicious about this claim, so I decided to purchase the unit as it has all the major features built in, and the thermal properties were just fantastic! It is made of FDA approved polyethylene (HDPE).

Here's what the MiniBrew site says about the product:

"The MiniMash Lauter Tun is a round, 15 gallon tank will hold up to 35 lbs of grain. Tank is 21 3/4" tall by 15" in diameter. 3/32" screen holes are ideal for a good filter bed. 5/16" thick walls provide mass for strength and good insulation. Transfers BTUs 100,000 times slower than stainless steel based on BTU transfer rate high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Sometimes a blanket or neoprene for insulation is needed."

The thermal properties is what sold me on this product. I have used it for a good 8 brewing sessions, and it holds the mash temperature very very well. At 70 degF ambient outdoor temps, and mashing at a temperature of 154 degF, the tun lost 3 degrees in a 90 minute timed period. An insulated blanket would only be needed for brewing outdoors in a much colder climate. You do have to make sure that you clean the tun very good before first use and after using it too. It is super easy to clean using a soft sponge and some warm water. Of the beers that I have created using the minimash lauter tun, I have not ever picked up any off flavors or "plastic" tastes to any of my beers. After my friend Brad witnessed the unit's operation and superb thermal properties, he went home and got online and purchased one! He has been very happy with it ever since, and I have been very happy with it too. For the single infusion brewer, it is a dream to work with, and you only have to add your dough-in mash water at 13 degF higher than your mash temp, and you'll hit your desired temps with no problem...and will also be able to hold it for practically the entire duration of the mash cycle!

I have my mash tun setup to recirculate through my wort chiller that's placed in my boil kettle that's kept about 5 degrees warmer than the target mash temperature. I also use a Ranco digital temp comtroller to control when the pump comes on, and can hold a mash temp to a +/- 1 degF. Works like a dream! I just have to watch the temp of the boil kettle to insure that it doesn't get too hot. This setup allows me to do very accurate step mashes as well, and is very responsive. I would very much recommend this product to all homebrewers! I love this thing!

Below are a few pics of the unit and some of the plumbing that I added to it. Have questions? Please ask!!


Looking in the mash tun we can see the false bottom
and the thermowell that houses the temp probe.




Here's a shot of the underside of the tun's lid. A
sprinkler head is fastened to the under side to use
for sparging. It works great!



some of the tuns plumbing.



Full shot of the mash tun.



Here'swhere the wort is returned from recycling.



Inside shot of the return. I had to use a 3/8
pipe tap to allow for the fittings thds.
Fitting was not included with the mashtun.



I hope you enjoyed the shots! Next week Brad and I will be going to and participating in my brew club's annual "Brew in the Park" event. We'll be brewing up a 10 gallon batch of an American IPA that Brad whipped up. The SG will be 1.069 and will take 29 lbs of grain! There will also be other brewers there and we'll all be brewing up a storm! I'll make sure to get some good pics of this event, as it is always a lot of fun!

Thanks again...and Brew On!!!! (_)3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home